When it comes to video editing tools, you are spoilt for choices with a large number of options available. Selecting one out of these is not only a daunting but also a tricky task. So, if you are new to video editing and in search of a decent video editing tool for your Mac, this article will be a good read. We will take you through the widely popular Mac video editor, along with the features, pros, and cons so that you can make the best choice depending on your requirements.
Part 1. Factors to Consider While Choosing a Video Editing Software
With a wide range of video editing tools available, selecting the one that fits your requirements is important. So, to help you with the process, we have shortlisted some important factors that should be considered to pick up the best suitable program.
- Compatibility: The most important factor is to consider whether the editing tool you are looking for is compatible with your system or not. So, if you are looking for a Mac-based tool, check if the desired tool is compatible with your OS version.
- Interface: The interface of the tool makes a lot of difference in the overall functioning of the software. Especially for beginners, a simple and intuitive interface is an important factor to consider while selecting a video editing tool as it helps in quick and smooth file processing. Also, make sure that the learning curve of the tool is not steep.
- Multimedia library: To make an impressive and professional-looking video, adding music, image art, styles, transitions, and more elements become important. So, while choosing software, check that the tool has a decent library of these effects as well as multimedia files that can be added to your videos.
- Budget: Your willingness to pay is a major deciding factor for a video editing tool. So, set a budget and shortlist the ones that fall within your range. Though there are free tools available, they support limited features and have several limitations.
Part 2. Top 5 Video Editor for Mac
A variety of Mac-based video editing tools are available and to make the selection process a little easy, we have shortlisted some of the most popular ones below.
To edit your videos like a pro and in a hassle-free manner, Wondershare FIlmora is one of the best video editor for Windows and Mac. Whether you are a hobbyist, a beginner filmmaker, or a professional, it will help you with all the needed editing features.
Wondershare Filmora can be tagged as the best editing video editing software owing to its user-friendly interface and support for numerous editing features that make it stand apart from the rest.
- Rich Library of Effects: The bring life to your footage, the software has a rich library of effects including transitions, filters, motion elements, titles, and more. Over 3500 free video effects are available that along with more than 50 countdown effects can make the videos look creative and interesting. Boris FX Continuum and NewBlue FX are professionally designed presets having a collection of unique effects.
- HDR Support: The HDR footage shot by professionals is supported by Filmora for editing and customization. While exporting the file, the software gives you the option to choose it as HDR. With HDR support you get a wide range of brightness that can be adjusted as needed.
- Advanced Color Correction: It supports advanced color correction and allows to use over 40 color preset options. The color scheme of the footage can also be changed and 3D LUTs can be created easily. For professionals who want customized settings, manual color correction can also be done.
- Comes with many pre-set options and templates for creating professional-looking videos.
- The drop and drag interface makes file adding and processing easy.
- Support basic and advanced video editing features.
- Support to almost all types of formats and file types.
- Multiple audio-related features are also supported.
- Color correction and special effects can be added.
- Comes with a free trial version.
- To use all the features, you need to subscribe to the paid version.
- The plugin extension is limited.
When it comes to video editing on Mac or iOS devices, iMovie is the most widely used tool as the program comes pre-installed on Mac and is available for free use. So, if you are a beginner or looking for basic editing features, iMovie works as one of the best options. The simple interface of the tool allows you to customize and polish your videos quickly and the option for audio editing is also supported.
- Free software that comes pre-installed on the Mac systems.
- Supports editing videos in an array of formats and types including 4K.
- Allows editing videos as well as audio files.
- Video filters, special effects, and other elements can be added.
- Free and pre-installed on Mac systems.
- Works as a good beginner’s tool.
- Available for iPhone and iPad as well.
- Lack of advanced and professional features.
- No support for 360-degree video editing
- No support for tagging.
3. Final Cut Pro
This is another widely used Mac video editing software for beginners as well as pros alike. The intuitive interface along with the wide range of features allows the user to create professional-looking videos in no time. The software keeps up with the latest trends and requirements, adding up to the features, from time to time.
- Support a wide range of basic as well as advanced editing features.
- Allows adding multiple effects and comes with VR support.
- Motion graphics features supported.
- Allows editing multi-cam recording setups.
- HDR content can be created.
- Smooth and quick video editing.
- Support to multiple features, effects, and other elements.
- Support for 2D and 3D applications.
- Comes with a built-in audio editor.
- Available only for Mac systems.
- Steep learning curve.
- Expensive software.
Created by NCH Software, VideoPad is another popular editing tool among Mac users. A wide range of export options makes this software stand out from the rest. Using the software, the processed videos can be uploaded directly to YouTube, Dropbox, Facebook, Vimeo, and several other sites, platforms, and devices.
Key features of the software
- Compatible with Windows and Mac systems.
- Allows exporting videos to OneDrive, Flickr, Google Drive, and other sites and platforms.
- Videos can be burned to a DVD and watched on TV.
- Comes packed in with all basic video editing features.
- Support features like 360-degree editing, animated titles, stabilization, and more.
- Support multiple templates for intros, outros, and other projects.
- Apt for beginners with basic and a few advanced features.
- Multiple export options.
- Support multiple video transitions and effects.
- Audio tools and features supported.
- Lack of advanced professional features.
- Rendering is slow.
- The free version comes with annoying ads.
Multi-platform support makes this software favorite among users. The tool is available for free use on Windows, Mac, and Linux systems. Al popular formats and file types are supported by the tool for the editing process including 4K files.
- Multi-platform support
- Support to multiple file types including 4K.
- Comes with blending modes and a notes panel.
- Offers color adjustment tools for file customization.
- Comes with audio features.
- Lightweight editor with support for multiple platforms.
- Support to a variety of formats.
- Free tool
- Users face crashing issues and the software is sluggish at times.
- Does not allow uploading files to social media sites.
- No preview option is available.
Video editing tools are a must these days to quickly customize the videos as per your requirements. With a wide variety of these tools available, choose the one that fits your budget and feature requirements. If you are looking for a video editing software for Mac that can let you create impressive footage with advanced features in a hassle-free manner on your Mac system, Wondershare FIlmora works as an apt choice.